Back in the day, I was making my own beauty products (mainly lotions and such), and I’m really happy to be getting back into this craft. There are so many benefits to making your own products ~
- More sustainable: you can reuse the same containers
- More ingredient-conscious: you know exactly what is in what you’re using
- More compassionate: vegan and cruelty-free always!
- Saves money: while there is an initial upfront expense of buying ingredients, it will still save you a lot of money. Start small and buy only a couple items at a time and experiment with different ways to use them!
Today, I am going to share three different products for hair and body you can make using only a couple ingredients each!
- Very hydrating without being too heavy
- Goes on smooth
- A little goes a long way
- Rub a small amount with both hands to warm up then apply to body
- Best to apply right when out of the shower and give it time to soak in while you’re getting ready before dressing
- Also great to use before bed
- 4 oz unrefined shea butter // I personally like the smell of unrefined shea butter, but it can be too earthy for some. Try refined shea butter instead!
- 4-5 tblsp sweet almond oil // can also use grapeseed, jojoba or other oil of choice!
- optional: essential oils you’ve researched
- Hand or standing mixer
- Container of choice
- Divide shea butter into chunks. Warm slightly in microwave until soft in 20 second increments.
- Remove from microwave and start to mix.
- Add in almond oil (and essential oils if using) and continue to mix thoroughly .
- Use small baking spatula to get all the product into the container. Enjoy!
Apple Cider Vinegar Rinse
- Helps with dandruff control
- Leaves hair silky smooth
- Apply to wet hair and leave on for a few minutes and rinse completely
- Use after shampooing and conditioning a couple times a week (which is about how often I wash my hair!)
- Yes, there is a vinegar smell, but it will go away once your hair is dry – I promise!
- Having a squirt bottle is ideal for application but not necessary
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- Measuring cup
- Container of choice (ideally one a squirt top!)
- Mix together and follow the tips for application above! Shake bottle before each use.
- Absorbs grease and oil from hair in between washes
- Smells good!
- Sprinkle in the part of your hair and comb or brush through
- Using an old spice container with the sprinkle top will help with application
- If you do not have this type of container, pinch a small amount in fingers and apply
- 2 tblsp arrowroot starch
- 2 tblsp* cocoa powder
- Optional: 1 tsp* cinnamon
- *These amounts will vary based on your hair color.
- Measuring spoons
- Spice container
- Mix together in separate bowl or directly into container and shake together.
- Adjust cocoa powder and cinnamon as needed based on hair color.
- Use application tips above and enjoy!
There you have it! Three super quick and easy beauty products you can make at home!
Pin for later: